Monday, June 26, 2006

College freshers face anxiety


NDTV Correspondent


Friday, June 23, 2006 (New Delhi):

Accompanied by his father 18-year old Piyush has come from Lucknow to Delhi University to pursue his dream - but it also means handling fears.

Also hostellers are offering advise to those forced to leave home to pursue their studies in a new city.

"I am from a small town... to get anywhere here you need to take an auto or a rickshaw... I feel lost in this big city," Piyush said of his first experience in Delhi.

Senior students at Delhi University (DU) say they went through the same experience.

"Honestly, it was a culture shock. It was very different from Allahabad. I could not understand anything my seniors said to me," said Rishab, a student at DU.

He added, "don’t lose your identity, be original, that’s the only way to survive. I love it here… I never want to leave...".

About ragging another senior, Nikhil said: "Ragging maybe scary but it also actually helps you become better friends with your seniors".

It may all seem blurred and confusing in the beginning but freshers soon become part of the hustle and bustle.

Life in hostel

For many, admission also means moving out of home and staying in hostels or as paying guests.

For Sneha, Anannya and Maumita belong to St Xavier's College in Mumbai, which has become their temporary home.

Sneha is from the small Deolgaon village in Aurangabad district of Maharashtra. Anannya and Maumita are city girls from Kolkata.

"Travelling was a nightmare. In the local trains its like an automated thing you just stand on the platform the crowd will push you in and the crowd will push you out," said Anannya Bhattacharya.

The girls have been living at a government-run hostel on Mumbai's Marine Drive for the past year.

"I had some problems fitting in. But I had decided that I would not change just because I am in Xavier’s. If you just be who you are you can adjust," said Sneha Harkut.

The city has also taught them a few lessons outside of class.

"[Hostel life] has taught me to be more responsible and confident," Bhattacharya added.

Their advise to freshers - secure a place to stay, do not be afraid and restrict your budget.

No comments: